Reuniting with People and Places

As I write this, I am in the middle of a two month break from school. Yes, two months! In the South Korean education system, they take winter vacation instead of summer vacation, so the new school year does not start until March 1st. I also happened to get lucky with my school - many ETAs are required to do a winter camp and teach a few random days in February before the seniors graduate, but my school just told me to take the whole time off because they couldn't fit a winter camp into the schedule. Unfortunately for my students though, in Korean high schools, winter vacation is not really a vacation - they still have to come to school every day. The school just reduces everything to the basic courses, and only some of the teachers work during that period. Many of my second year students are now third graders (aka seniors) and for them, it's a really stressful time as they begin to devote all waking hours to studying for the suneung, South Korea's more intense equivalent of the SAT. 

As for me, I've spent the past month away from teaching, and it has been a much needed break. At the end of December I was definitely getting burnt out, both energetically and emotionally. I taught through December 30th and moved into an apartment the week after Christmas before heading to Seoul for New Years'. As I boarded my flight from Incheon to Nanjing on the 1st, it was a relief to get some physical distance from my life in Korea, and especially to give myself some more space to breathe and reflect.

It was also a wonderful feeling to see my cousin Maggie waiting for me on the other side! Maggie has been living in China for the past 5 and a half years, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw her before this trip. She now has a little baby named Abigail, and spending 10 days with them gave me a small window into her life abroad. I also got to meet her goofy husband Jianhu, who is a Kung Fu master (and studied at Shaolin Temple! I didn't know what that was before this trip but apparently it's a big deal) and owns a studio in Nanjing. Since Maggie and Jianhu are new parents, we had a pretty relaxed schedule and spent a lot of time at the studio. I sometimes watched Abby, but I actually spent the most time at the studio sitting on one of a few wooden stools in front of a large table beneath a window. This is the spot where Jianhu has conversations with clients and staff at the studio, and on the table there is a huge, circular stone with small ceramic cups and a teapot. Jianhu makes traditional Chinese tea every day and we spent a lot of time here having short exchanges in English or just in relaxed silence.

I also got to see Shanghai for a couple days, and I really enjoyed walking around the Bund with Maggie (although the weather was cold and rainy) and exploring Yuyuan Garden in the Old City. And the food in China was amazing! It's definitely different from American and Korean versions of Chinese food, and I already miss it.

Since China, I've been busy in Korea with a 10 day visit from my dad and a short trip back to Sokcho (where we spent a weekend this past summer over orientation) with my friend Annie. Showing my father around Seoul, Iksan, and Jeonju was a really special opportunity to show him what my life is like here. Surprisingly, it was also a big example of how much I've learned over the past six months, in spite of all the moments when I still I feel like a lost foreigner.

I've been really privileged to do so much this past January, including skiing in Pyeongchang where the winter olympics will be held next year, touring the Demilitarized Zone in Gyeonggi-do and Gangwon-do, and revisiting a beautiful national park for winter hiking. It is a reminder how lucky I am to be here and have opportunities to explore and learn, and I know that these experiences will stay with me as I transition back into life after Korea. This Thursday, I am also going to India for two weeks on a trip led by my friend's professor from her alma mater, Hope College. I am beyond excited to see India, but I'm sure I'll have much more to say about it after I return!

Seoraksan National Park, round two (photo credit to Annie)


Comments

  1. Katherine, you certainly had a very busy month in January!! I am so very glad that you were able to visit with Maggie in China and meet Jianhu and Abby!! My only regret is that I missed seeing you in China by two days! Oh well... Such is life. I am happy that your father was able to join you in South Korea and participate in all the various activities. I look forward to your next blog and hearing about your trip to India!! Love ya!! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts