Arrival

Introductions

My name is Katherine and I recently graduated with a degree in sociology from Oberlin College. I am now gearing up for the pretty great gig of teaching English in South Korea through the Fulbright ETA Program, with a packed six weeks of orientation to start!

ETA stands for English Teaching Assistant, and it is one of several different grants offered by the U.S. Department of State's Fulbright Program. While my title is ETA, I have been told that in Korea it is likely that I will serve less as an assistant and more as a full, independent teacher at whichever school I am assigned to. It's definitely a nerve wracking responsibility to take on in a new country where I don't speak the language, but hopefully the first six weeks of intense training will prepare me well! Also, an important thing to note about being an ETA: my technical title is "Fulbright Grantee" -not "Fulbright Scholar" or "Fulbright Fellow," even though those are terms that are often thrown around. Because I am not here to conduct research (and I'm not a professor), Grantee is the only one that applies.

Arrival

I flew out of NYC on Friday in the middle of the night, traveled fourteen hours and arrived in Korea around 4AM Sunday morning. Nearly all of the other 72(!) ETAs arrived around the same time, and once we landed the orientation team wasted no time getting us started. By 9:00 we had signed several forms, taken photos, and arrived at Jungwon University in Goesan, Chungcheongbuk-do (and no, I didn't know how to say that either). We had a full schedule that day that included workshops, our Korean language placement tests, and a tour of the university which lasted until dinner. To say that I was tired was an understatement, but it was still pretty amazing to be in South Korea for the first time.

The past couple days have been hours of Korean language classes, teaching and cultural workshops, and a site visit to observe a current ETA at a school nearby. It's been really busy but also very helpful so far. There have also been a few things to adjust to, including a totally random break in the water system which has left us without running water for the past two days (apparently this has never happened at Jungwon before), and some interesting food items including tiny, salty fish for breakfast that I initially thought were pieces of seaweed until I saw their little faces. Nevertheless, the campus is beautiful, the program is clearly well-organized, and the orientation coordinators are working really hard. The other ETAs are also really interesting people, and besides those fish, some of the food has been great!

Jungwon University's gorgeous campus

Comments

  1. Good luck in the upcoming year teaching English in South Korea!! Hope it goes well and that you enjoy living in SK!! Perhaps you might be able to visit Maggie in China while you are in SK?!! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine,
    WOW, I can't believe you've been gone a week already. It sounds like you are settling in and adjusting. I wish you you all the best. I hope this is a great experience. But, not so great that you don't come home to us! Love, aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi Aunt Liz and Aunt Pat,

    Thanks so much!

    Aunt Liz - I'm really hoping I'll be able to visit Maggie in China, although I won't know when I'll have time off until I arrive at my specific site. I'll definitely be in touch with her though to coordinate!

    <3 Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts